Email List

If you'd like to know about the latest promos, offers and publications, get on the email list by using the Contact Form on the sidebar. Thank you!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

New MC based on Martin Freeman

Yes, corny, isn't it. The new Main Character of my new novelette, a short 'Man by a tree' revival, is based on Martin Freeman, of the 2005 Hitchhiker's movie. It's just so natural to write this part in the style of his typical casting. Already written the first 2000 words, the first 'scene' in the bedroom of 'Guido Leflorainex-Defouis'. It's reminiscent of HHGTTG and Monty Python all rolled into one.
Here's a short extract from the middle of the 1st scene with Guido and Graham Reader (Grim Reaper).


“I’m dead.”
“Yes.”
“And you’re the Grim Reaper.”
“Graham. Yes.”
“'I’m dead'. It’s a bit…blunt, isn’t it?”
“Mmm, I guess so.”
“Surely you’ve done this before. Couldn’t you have broken it to me a bit better?”
“You’re dead, what does it matter?”
“What? Couldn’t you have said something like ‘I’m terribly sorry to tell you this but you have just passed away in your sleep’ or something?”
“Could’ve done.”
“And?”
“Didn’t. I’m done with all that. See this?” Graham showed Guido his clothes, normal clothes bordering on boring. “Not the old black hood and cloak, is it? I haven’t worn anything like that for centuries. Too theatrical, it scares people. Why scare them? They’ve just died, they don’t need some bloke in a frightening hood to come along and say ‘I am Death. I have come for you.’” Guido laughed.
“Yeah, that’s good that.” Guido pointed to an imaginary table. “It was the salmon pâté!”
“Mousse, actually. Get it right.”
“Oh right, yes, so it was. Funny how the details really matter.” Guido sat there for a while, contemplating his death.


No comments:

Post a Comment