Email List

If you'd like to know about the latest promos, offers and publications, get on the email list by using the Contact Form on the sidebar. Thank you!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

My preference...

I've had to read a few short stories for a course recently, some classics from Woolf, Forster and DH Lawrence. All three were fantastic, though a acquaintence said otherwise (of course).
Woolf's 'The Mark on the Wall' is so good...but not my preference. I found it way too 'greasy', if I had written something in that style...I did, many years ago, and I deleted it. I couldn't read it, I couldn't 'see' myself in it. Woolf is damn good, though.
EM Forster's 'Road from Colonus', now there's a great thing. Still, not my preference, a little too 'smooth', but fantastic back story of Greek tragedy gone wrong due to non-awareness of others.
Now, DH Lawrence 'The Rocking-Horse Winner'...much more my thing in terms of style, though it felt quite dated with the language, and so so predictable. Terrible endline, too, but a great story of a well-to-do family living on hard times.
So, my preference? I read a few chapters of my 3rd book after reading these. Isn't it great when you like your own stuff? Sometimes I think where did it all come from? How did I do that? And my new novelette...still waiting on some 'reaction' from the competition. Probably nothing - who goes for comedy fantasy?
Of course, my writing style is NOTHING compared to these GIANTS in literature, but this shows I'm such a fussy reader. I bow to their memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment