Email List

If you'd like to know about the latest promos, offers and publications, get on the email list by using the Contact Form on the sidebar. Thank you!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I write plays?

Finally, a comment on 'Too Dull to Die' from someone on authonomy.com. The comment really beings home what I've suspected for quite some time now, that I write scripts or plays, and not books, in the sense of the classic 'descriptive narrative'. Re-writing Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream for the kids at school got me thinking that way too, and even when I was directing it, helping them with them with their performances...it all made me think I'm a playwright more than an author. So, still working on 'Rage' script, and have a little of 'Bethlehem Fiasco' in script, too. I must finish all 3 books as scripts/plays sometime...
Anyway, here's the comment :-)

Hi Dani, I like the story, someone who is as lost dead, as he probably was living. It is easy to read and fast paced, a little too fast paced perhaps. I think it reads too much like a play, interspersed with a few stage directions. Which is fine if it is a play! Now, I am not someone who could be bothered to wade my way through pages and pages of descriptive rubbish, I mean if a killer has crept in to murder someone in their shower, who cares what the bathroom looks like? But perhaps a little view of what 'upstairs' was like, or a bit of back story - how did he die? Where abouts did he live, to be able to live such a banal life? At the end of chapter four (as far as I got) it states 'there was so much detail...' I will read on, of course, just to see what happens, for despite what I have mentioned, I believe that overall, it is the story that counts!
Good Luck with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment