Email List

If you'd like to know about the latest promos, offers and publications, get on the email list by using the Contact Form on the sidebar. Thank you!

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Thank you, Hugh Cornwell

I once had the chance to talk to Hugh Cornwell (who you say?)...

...of the Stranglers (who?)...



...but I chickened out. I was a big fan of the Stranglers, had bought all their albums, singles and 12"s (yes, we're talking vinyl here), even their solo stuff, including JJ Burnel's, Cornwell's and Greenfield's (Burnel even passed me a Fire & Water album because I couldn't find it anywhere - another story).

From Cornwell's solo album at the time, 'Wolf', here's 'Another Kind of Love', a great video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKsZArfoEs

Burnel just happen to live in the village. I thought this was too much of a coincidence to miss out on, so I asked him to sign all the solo stuff. They all did.

One night in the pub about a day or so later, Hugh Cornwell comes in looking all suave and shiny and orders a pint. I'm sitting there like "Do I? Should I?" And I chicken out. He finishes his pint and leaves. The end. I didn't get another chance to thank him for the signatures or the many hours of pleasure listening to his voice and guitar on those early Stranglers' songs.

I'm still sad that the original Stranglers line-up had to split, but as Cornwell said in an interview, it became more like work than a life. Everyone had settled down with a family except for him, so I guess he had to do something.

So, I'd just like to say, thank you, Hugh Cornwell.
And yes, I do like 'Wolf', especially "Decadence" (28:03 on this youtube audio).

And... apparently Cornwell has a new album out, 'Monster', with a tour in November...


I'll go and check some of the songs out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1KsSZNfRI

Ooo, hang on, what's this...'Totem & Taboo'...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYxUrCVO0hE

And here's Cornwell's website...
http://www.hughcornwell.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment