Email List

If you'd like to know about the latest promos, offers and publications, get on the email list by using the Contact Form on the sidebar. Thank you!

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Dr. Seuss' Enterprises Public Statement #SeussBirthday

It was Dr. Seuss' birthday yesterday, and his company gave this statement...


Okay, I understand, they can't 'call back' all those books, but they did the next 'best' thing and cancelled publishing them, for some 'inappropriate' pictures showing other races stereotypically.

I found one in 'Mulberry Street', reinforcing a cultural stereotype...


But what about 'The Cat in the Hat'? I love the style but I never got on with the main character, there was always something wrong with the Cat for me. I couldn't put my finger on it - because I'm sometimes quite slow, especially seeing as I was brought up in a 'white' environment. But now I know the Cat is based on Blackface and African American stereotypes, now I can see why my brain refused to like him.

But of course, how can Seuss Enterprises cancel The Cat in the Hat? It's their main product! The hypocrisy is killing...

Here's a Washington Post article... omiting this question...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/dr-seuss-books-canceled-notebook/2021/03/02/b3496b98-7b55-11eb-a976-c028a4215c78_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment